This chili will make you feel like you are on vacation in a mountain cabin in front of a warm crackling fire. It has a mouth-watering smokey flavor that isn’t over powering and is simply a meal you will never forget.Please Share The Urban Herbivore
- Prep Time: 20m
- Cook Time: 40m
- Total Time: 1h 10m
- 3 tbsp. Water for the Sauté
- 1 large Onion - Chopped
- 1 Green Pepper - chopped
- 2 Cloves of Garlic - minced
- 16 oz Portabella Mushrooms - chopped
- 4 tbsp. Dried Parsley or 1/2 cup of fresh
- 1 tsp. Ground Cumin
- 2 tbsp. Hatched Green Chile Powder
- 3 tbsp. Red Rocks Hickory Smoked Seasoning From Savory Spice Shop (Key ingredient)
- 2 28 oz Cans of Fire Roasted Tomatoes - Diced or Crushed
- 7 c Water - This sounds like a lot, but the Lentiles need it to expand
- 1 lbs Dry Red Lentils - rinsed and drained
- 2 Cans of Pinto Beans - rinsed and drained
- 2 Cans of White Northern Beans - rinsed and drained
- I make this in my 8 quart electric pressure cooker aka “Mike”. Add water to the pressure cooker and push the sauté button, add the onion and all of the peppers. (Carnivores sauté your meat with water and onion and then add the rest of the ingredients) Sauté onion and peppers until they begin to turn translucent, add spices to wake them up and add the remaining ingredients. I use the manual setting and I program my unit for 40 minutes.
- You can use any beans you have on hand. Kidney beans hold up nicely and add a bit more bite to the soup. Yummy garnished with a tablespoon of corn and a few sprigs of cilantro.
- Substitute Meat and omit the Red lentils and Mushrooms. Sauté 2 1/2 lbs of ground beef and 1 lbs of Johnson Brother’s Sweet Italian Sausage. Add an additional 2 tbsp of Red Rocks Hickory Smoked Seasoning because you have a whole lot of meat to season and reduce the water to 4 cups. Garnish with shredded cheese and Giddy-up!