Got Hatch? Hatch Green Chile Powder is the key ingredient of this white chili. It adds a fabulous depth of chile flavor. The inspiration for this chili came from the recent chili demo I attended at the Savory Spice Shop. Debbie’s original recipe called for chicken, oil, and chicken broth and I have converted this recipe into a herbivore recipe without any of those ingredients. The flavor I promise you is still next level. So let’s get started.Please Share The Urban Herbivore
- Prep Time: 15m
- Cook Time: 35m
- Total Time: 50m
- 3 tbsp. Vegetable Broth - for sauteing
- 1 Medium Onion - chopped
- 16 oz Mushrooms of your choice - I use Baby Bellas
- 2 Cloves of Garlic - minced
- 2 Can Cannellini Beans - rinsed and drained
- 2 Cans Great Northern Beans - rinsed and drained
- 2 Cans of Fire Roasted Green Chiles - undrained
- 1 tsp. Ground Cumin
- 1 tbsp. Hatch Green Chile Powder
- 1 L Vegetable Broth
- I make this in an electric pressure cooker. Saute onions in one tablespoon of vegetable broth, when the onions turn translucent add the garlic. Continue to saute and add the fire roast green chiles, spices, mushrooms, and the rest of the vegetable broth and you are ready to reprogram the pressure cooker to finish cooking. My 8 quart MegaChef aka "Mike" has a pre-programmed button for soups. It is a 25 minute program. You can cook this on your stove-top or in a slow cooker, it will just take longer.
- If you are not used to cooking with Cumin I want to warn you this is the spice that turns up the heat. I use 2 teaspoons when I make it, but I like the heat. This yummy soup is great if you feel as though you may be getting a cold. The heat will clear your sinuses. You will be saying, "Move over Chicken Noodle, I've got Hatched Mushroom Chili." I suggest serving this soup over a baked Yukon Gold potato and topped off with a bit of cilantro. It is spicy and warming.
For Carnivores Only:
- You can add chicken instead of mushrooms, you can saute in oil and you can used chicken broth instead of veggie broth. You will figure it out if you are hungry, you have skills.